Health Benefits of Sweet Onions: Did you know?
- Sweet onions are naturally free of fat and cholesterol and low in sodium.
- Onions are an excellent source of antioxidants and vitamin C.
- Onions contain a plant nutrient called quercitin, which may help fight variety of cancers and contribute to bone health.
- Onions are thought to provide protection against certain types of cancers. In cancer rates are 40 percent lower than in citizens of the United States.
- In the town of Vidalia, Georgia – right in the center of sweet onion country - mortality rates from stomach cancer are approximately half of what they are in the rest of the nation.
- In China, where onions are used in approximately two meals each day, stomach cancer rates are 40 percent lower than in citizens of the United States.
- Following the Weight Watchers program? Onions, like most fruits and vegetables, count for 0 points. Feel free to add the sweet, savory flavor to your sandwiches and salads without worry!
- Recent research has shown that those who consume eight or more servings of vegetables a day are 22 percent less likely to die of heart disease. Add a sliced or chopped onion to your next meal and reap the benefits.